Monday 28 March 2011

lifespace story

“I was at the end of knowing what I should do.... I was anxious and distracted at work because I was just waiting for a phone call from school to say what had gone wrong again. It was costing me time and energy and I really didn’t know what else to do.

I got in touch with Lifespace and found they were really genuine and professional and they let me explain what the situation was. I thought I was rambling but they listened to what I had to say. Very quickly I felt confident in the process.

Beforehand I was worried about being judged as a “bad parent” but Lifespace were really sensitive and listened to what we needed and gave us support throughout the process. I know they went out of their way to accommodate our needs.
Without a doubt our son’s life is easier now, more settled. It has made a huge huge difference. In seven months he has had just one lunchtime detention, whereas before it was at least two detentions a week. Things had hit a real low point when he was involved in handling stolen goods, the Police were involved and he was expelled for four days.

With the input and help of his mentor his behaviour has changed. The mentor has helped our son learn new techniques to keep calm and begin to really believe in himself. He uses these techniques even when we are out shopping. He has learned to stop and think about things rather than just lose control. Before he would cry uncontrollably and kick and scream. Now he takes a step back, and calms down much quicker.

School staff are really positive about our son now as well. Our whole expectation has changed.

The Lifespace team also helped us as parents see what was getting in the way and what we could change at home too, things like realising how our son learns best is not with words, but visually and through diagrams. I am so much happier as we have a lot less arguments now. I really don’t know what I would have done without Lifespace…I think I would have had a nervous breakdown! Our son’s life has been transformed”

1 comment: